Level 2 – Intermediate
Program Number Authorized: LIVE17SBD150
Length: 1.5 Hours AIA 1.5 HSW/LU 1.5 PDH 0.15 CEU 1 GBCI
After this presentation, participants will understand the following concepts:
- The key to sustainable building lies in long-life, adaptable, low-energy design.
- The earth’s resources are best conserved if the service life of a building is prolonged.
- Using precast concrete in buildings conserves energy and resources during and after construction.
Precast concrete characteristics:
- The materials used in precast buildings are natural, renewable, and locally available.
- Water and materials used in precast buildings are often recyclable and recycled.
- Indoor and outdoor air quality are improved in precast buildings
- less (or no) VOC-based preservatives and paints necessary
- Thermal mass qualities of precast concrete
- Aesthetically pleasing versatile options to choose from
- High Performance Building principles using precast concrete systems.
- Understand precast connections and how to create designs with adaptability and deconstruct-ability in mind.
- How to integrate the structural system with other building systems.
- Discuss sustainable principles and how it relates to concrete.