Curved and Spliced Precast Concrete U-Beam Bridges
This webinar will discuss the “state of the art” of curved and spliced precast concrete U-beam bridges. The presentation will introduce the U-Beam technology and detail the challenges associated with the implementation and delivery of these types of structures. Understanding the role of the designer and design criteria, as well as a review of critical elements and constraints will be explained in the presentation. Also discussed will be resources which are available to the designer by PCI and emerging topics in the precast concrete industry.
1. Develop an understanding of curved, spliced U-Beam Technology.
2. Understand U-Beam cross-sections, major components of U-Beam Systems, and fabrication techniques.
3. Define the roles of the Designer, Special Engineer, and Project Specifications in project delivery.
4. Understand the role of design criteria in stating important design assumptions, especially those not clearly defined in current design codes.
5. Review critical elements and constraints for preliminary layout and sizing of a curved, spliced U-Beam bridge.
6. Provide additional resources to the design professional available through PCI.
Presenter: William Nickas, PE William is the Managing Director of Transportation Services at PCI.
He is a Professional Engineer and a graduate of The Citadel; the Military College of South Carolina. His 30 years of experience includes various roles from design engineer to lead principal in public and private sector engineering organizations. At FDOT, he was the State Structure Design Engineer, responsible for all structure design policy development for major and complex bridge projects.
Learn more about PCMA and educational opportunities with our Learn@Lunch offerings! Earn CEU Credits!